Pope Benedict XVI has come under a hail of criticism for the remarks he made in a speech regarding Muslims. Some have even called for his assassination. Now there is an irony. Rome has begun trying to recover from the negative PR.
The Oklahoma Sooners played against the Oregon Ducks last Saturday. At the end of the game a call was made to award Oregon the ball on an on sides kick. Replay showed it to be wrong but it was not changed. It cost Oklahoma the game. The replay official has been criticized and threatened.
Have you ever had to deal with criticism? We all have. Unless you live under a rock you will have others that oppose you and sometimes become harsh in their comments of disagreement. Even preachers get criticized! Can you believe it! How in the world do we handle criticism when it comes? Here are some thoughts:
1. Truth is sometimes a dividing line. If you are going to stand, realize that truth has a price. Doing the right thing is worth the price.
2. Let Jesus be your defender. HE is able to take care of you. Trust Him.
3. If you are wrong – apologize. Sometimes criticism is warranted and we need to back up.
4. Make sure you do not develop a critical spirit. We all know people that are against anything and everything. Don’t become one of those.
5. Pray for those who are critical of you.
Even Jesus faced criticism and disapproval. And we know HE was never wrong. “Have this attitude in yourselves which was also in Christ Jesus, who, although He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant…” Being like Jesus is the critical issue.
Pastor Ted Traylor